Contempt of Court

A motion for civil contempt of court initiates enforcement to resolve chronic breach of a divorce settlement agreement.

Unfortunately, not everyone obeys the Court's orders. As a result, it is often necessary to file a contempt action to encourage an ex-spouse to follow the court's order.

In order to be held in "Contempt", a party must be in willful disobedience of the court's decree. Only a judge can decide whether a party is in contempt. Often the Court will allow a party to purge themselves of contempt by paying a certain dollar amount immediately and adhering to a strict repayment schedule. In extreme cases, a party may be incarcerated for failing to abide by the Court's order.

Sometimes, a party has legitimate reasons for not paying support obligations. In these cases, the court may decide the he is in "rrears" but not in contempt. Relief, may still be granted in the form of a repayment schedule.

If your ex-spouse has failed to abide by the court's order a contempt action should be considered. Alternatively, if you are the victim of financial problems or a litigious ex-spouse, you need to properly defend yourself.

Regardless of your problems, The Falcone Law Firm, P.C. can help. Contact our office to schedule an appointment.

Get the legal help you need

Whether you need to file a motion for contempt, or dispute a contempt of court motion, we can help you. The first step is scheduling an appointment to get the answers you need.

Need help or information? Call 770-426-9359