Child Custody in Georgia

Child custody laws in Georgia focus on the best interest of the children. We can create a Georgia Parenting Plan to protect your children.

The term "custody" can refer to "legal custody", "physical custody" or both. Legal custody generally refers to a parent's ability to remain involved in a child's life, have access to pertinent records and participate in life decisions. Physical custody generally refers to where the child will live.

In many cases, the parties are awarded or agree to joint legal custody. This arrangement often helps preserves the parent-child relationship. Physical custody can be awarded jointly so that the child spends equal time at both homes, but this arrangement is often impractical or undesired.

If the children are twelve (12) or older, the Court can consider their desires in the process. At age fourteen (14) a child has the right to make the election themselves.

Typically, one party is generally considered the "primary physical custodian" and the child lives with that parent most of the time. The remaining parent, often called the "secondary physical custodian", is usually awarded liberal visitation rights. The parties can agree to almost any visitation schedule which meets their needs, but alternating weekend visitation with holiday arrangements are most common. Adjustments are made when work schedules, religious observances, physical distance or the parties' desires require changes.

Most counties now require that both parents attend an educational seminar as part of the legal process. Some counties have even established a voluntary seminar for children so they can better cope with this difficult change.

Custody disputes may be the single most emotional and difficult part of any divorce case. At The Falcone Law Firm, P.C. we always attempt to find a solution that works for you, but are prepared to go to trial to protect your rights.

Everyone's situation has unique aspects. Consulting with a child custody lawyer can provide you with answers on what to expect and child custody options for your situation.

Need help or information? Call 770-426-9359